Monday, June 13, 2011

Green Lantern

A year and a half ago I was asked by DC/Warner Bros. to do some artwork of the recently-cast Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern.  I was to stick to the classic Gil Kane costume.  I would have liked to do more, but I was several steps removed from the real decision makers; I'm not sure what got through.  Well, it was fun to be involved with a project this cool, and I learned a lot.  Below is the key piece I did. I worked out the drawing and initial tonal work on gray paper, then transferred it to Strathmore for the color work.

I hope the movie is good. I like Ryan Reynolds for the part (although I would have preferred Nathan Fillion.) I kinda dig the designs: the suit does indeed look like it's made from alien energy, but the way it extrudes from the skin, then cracks with light coming through is kinda horrible, like a Clive Barker character.  But still, there are lots of things I love about the movie so far;  at the same time, other things - not so much.  We'll see how it holds up through a viewing of the flick.

1 comment:

  1. Jason:

    This came out really nice. Although I will pass on the movie, you nailed the feel of GL. Now if they went with this for the movie costume, then I might feel better.

    Also, you kind of have me stroking my chin over your transfer technique. So you lassoed the figure on the toned paper and printed it onto Strathmore? Then colored directly to the board or digitally?

    ReplyDelete